University of Alberta Senate, September 2016
image by Richard Siemens
Some members of Senate are elected, some are appointed. Members are volunteers, and they are drawn from as broad a representation of society as possible. The main requirements for public members of Senate are that they care about the University and the community it serves, and are willing to spend time helping to translate that concern into positive results.
The Senate is comprised of:
- 30 elected members of the public, who represent affiliated colleges or institutions, geographical areas and groups, and organizations with an interest in the University.
- 9 members of the public, appointed by the Minister of Advanced Education
- 2 members of the non-academic staff appointed by the Minister of Advanced Education
- 2 appointees from the Board of Governors
- 3 appointees from General Faculties Council
- 2 appointees from Deans' Council
- 2 appointees from the Alumni Association
- 4 students appointed by the Student's Union
- 1 student appointed by the Graduate Students' Association
In addition, the Chancellor, the President, the Vice-President (Academic & Provost), the Dean of Extension, the Dean of Students and the President and Vice-President of the Alumni Association are Senate members ex officio.