Applications for the 2017-18 school year are now open!
For more information on applying, please visit the application page.
U School is a program run by the University of Alberta Senate that aims to introduce and connect students in grades 4 through 9 from socially vulnerable, Aboriginal (First Nations, Métis and Inuit) and rural communities to the University of Alberta. Classes, with their classroom teachers, attend a week-long immersion experience on campus led by our U School staff team. Their week's schedule is built around the teacher's application, Alberta curriculum and the many opportunities available at the U of A.
U School runs from late September to early December and from late January to early April, based on the University's academic schedule. We employ a large number of volunteers from the University community to help build connections to post-secondary education for our participants.
In order to participate, schools must be:
- considered socially vulnerable by their district (metro Edmonton area);
- from an Aboriginal community within Alberta (First Nation, Métis or Inuit); or
- from a rural community within Alberta
The program is offered at no cost to participating schools. However schools are responsible for their own transportation (ETS passes are available at no cost).
For more information about the program, please contact us
Important U School Dates
- January 4, 2017 - 2017/18 Applications available
- February 1, 2017 - Edmonton Inquiring Minds Open House
- April 21, 2017, 12:00PM (noon) - 2017/18 Applications due
- May 19, 2017 - Application notificiation deadline
- June 6, 2017 - U School Convocation